5 Best China VPN – Enjoy Internet Freedom with Mainland VPN
After a decade long cat & mouse game with privacy advocates, watchdogs and journalists, China’s government finally enacted its very own cyber-security legislation on 7th November 2016. The cyber law establishes that:
- Data of Chinese internet users will be stored locally in China
- Surveillance will legally be part of Chinese internet
- All Chinese internet users’ will register broadband & mobile internet in their own name
One thing that the Chinese government failed to mention was that it would ban all Chinese netizens from accessing foreign websites plusrestrict Chinese expats and foreign based users from access local Chinesemedia & social networks.
The enactment of the new cyber legislation has faced much criticism from global internet watchdogs, giving us all the more reason to use a China VPN service. For the last few years, China remains dead last among countries surveyed by Freedom House (US based privacy watch dog). This organization has also termed China as the“worst abuser of internet freedom“.Considering the recent scenario of internet freedom, netizens have no other option left except using a mainland VPN in China.
I may go to China. I have family there. Less internet freedom, fewer dead people and jailed people.
— Spencer D. Williams (@Devilturnip) November 9, 2016
5 Best China VPN Services 2018
The growing surveillance & data retention threats for all Chinese netizens require that they take proper precautions to protect their internet from all intrusions. This is where the best China VPN servicescome in:
Exclusive discount 77% discount
- 750+ servers in 141+ countries
- 5 Multi Logins
- 15-Days Money-Back Guarantee
- Live Chat Support
- tunneling protocols
- Compatible with all devices
Exclusive discount 77% discount
- 4500+ servers in 61+ countries
- Offers 5 Tunneling Protocols
- 6 Simultaneous Connection
- Offers 2048 Bit Encryption for Certificate Authentication
- 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
- Supports Netflix
Exclusive discount 35% discount
- OpenVPN TCP, L2TP/IPSec, SSTP and PPTP protocols
- 145+ Servers in 94 countries
- Multi Logins
- 30 day money back guarantee
- Upto 256bit encryption
Exclusive discount 76% discount
- Free Trial
- Zero logging
- Only 60 servers in 42 countries
- 7-day Money-back guarantee
- Unlimited bandwidth and speed
- AES-256 bit encryption keys
Exclusive discount 78% discount
- 400+ Servers in 100+ Locations
- Kodi Optimized VPN Services
- 100% access to Kodi, Netflix, Hulu & more
- Split tunnelling & Kill switch
- Advance Security Feature for Torrent Users
- P2P Open Servers – Optimized for Downloading
What is a China VPN &Why you need one?
A VPN is onlinesoftware that masks the user’s IP address and hides all online activities through secure tunnelingprotocols. A tunneling protocol ensures that all your online activities are hidden &encryptedfrom the Great Firewall and the Chinese Internet Police.Encryption ensures all user data is converted into unrecognizable alphanumeric code before it leaves user devices.
There are various reasons for internet users’ (both foreign & China based) to use a China VPNserver to access websites. For instance,the Chinese government does not allow its netizens to access foreign social media services like Facebook and YouTube. A major reason Chinese netizens have to use China VPN services to bypass the Great Firewall restrictions within China.
Similarly, internet users across the world are also restricted from accessing Chinese based social networks and video streaming services like:
- QQ Video
This increasesthe demand for a mainland VPN service amongstforeign based Chinese expats &internet users. Chinese expats &Chinese speaking netizensparticularly thosebased in Japan, USA, UK, Malaysia, Thailand, Australia, Germany, Canada etc.are all making use of China VPN servers to access their favorite Chinese news, entertainment, documentary, TV &sports websites.
China’s Golden Shield Project proactively geo-restricts all sources of local Chinese video & music streaming services in USA, UK, Malaysia, Thailand, Japan, Australia, Canada and many other countries.Chinese expats and travellers are left without catching up to their favorite TV shows movies, music, documentaries and latest news when outside the country.
The Chinese government blocks all foreign Chinese users’ and expats from accessing their favorite entertainment, video streaming, news, social and political websites from access outside China. Yes, you cannot accessYouku, Sohu and many other websites hosted within China unless you have a mainland VPN.
A mainland VPN will sort out all geo-restrictions placed by the Great Firewall. Follow our guide to unblock Youku from outside China below. You can use it to unblock all favorite Chinese websites from the US, UK, Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong and other regions.
We accessed the Youku website without a China VPN, but video did not play
Unblock Youku from Outside China
Although you can access the famous Youku websitefrom outside China, you will not be able to play any of it videos. Depending on which device (PC, Mac, iOS or Android) you are usingyou can easily unblock Youku with a China VPN server Shanghai or Beijing.
To unblock Youku with a mainland VPN, here is what to do:
- Subscribe to a mainland VPN service that offers amainlandVPN server
- Download the app for your China VPN
- Connect to a mainland VPN server (Beijing or Shanghai)
- Go to your browser, clear your cache then access Youku.com
- You should now be able to play all Youku videos, movies and clips
Which Websites are blocked in China?
The Chinese government censors & blocks media from most parts of the world including the USA, UK, EU, Australia, several countries of S.E.Asia etc. Theseinclude everything from social networks, video streaming, gaming, news, health &well-being, human rights and millions of other websites.
While a mainland VPN will generally unblock all such website, you should always confirm that your China VPN service does not leak your IP address. Always test your China VPN providerusing DNS leak tests available on Google.
News Websites blocked in China
China’s government is taking every initiative to curb the notion of “Freedom of Expression”. There are different online news websites including theGuardian, Wall Street Journal, Time Magazine etc.that are blocked in China. Use of mainland VPN is increasing among Chinese netizens to catchall the latest happenings taking place worldwide.
Social Media Platforms blocked in China
These online restrictions are also applied on different social media websites like Facebook,Google,YouTube, Twitter, Flickr,SoundCloud and Vimeo too. The Chinese government has banned all these social websites to encourage its local internet industry by developing alternative social networks.
Hence, netizens have to use China VPN services to access popular social media websites to connect with their friends, send emails, look at trending news and events etc.
Online Tools and Search Engines blocked in China
There is a huge list of tools and search engines that are also blocked in China. This list includes Google Services, Shutter Stock, Dropbox, iStockPhotos, WayBackMachine, Duck Duck Go, Yahoo and many others.It becomes necessary for Chinese internet users and professionals alike to selectMainland VPNservicesto use their preferred work tools and search engines.
Even the creator of the Great Firewall, Fan Binxing, had to use a mainland VPN service to unblock Google search at a lecture at the Harbin Institute of Technology to deliver a point. Binxing was left embarrassed in front of a massive crowd as his China VPN service failed to load the Google home page.
How China Blocks VPN Services?
China blocks VPN services through the Golden Shield Project, a broad technology designed to monitor and listen on to everything happening in Chinese cyberspace. The Great Firewall (one of Golden Shield’s main tech) blocks any website that promotes violence, questions the Chinese government and criticizes Chinese government policies.It also applies Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) method to find out China VPN users thenusers’ connectionsare ultimately blocked.
Here are some known mechanisms that the Golden Shield Project and Chinese internet Police follow:
· IP Blocking
IP blocking helps in blocking connections from a certain IP address. The Great Firewall blocks outgoing connections to thousands of websites and refuses connection to foreign IP addresses.
Expats and foreign based Chinese internet users’ can mask their foreign IP addresses with the best China VPN services to ensure they get access to their favorite websites instantly.
· DNS Filtering & Redirection
DNS filtering is a method in which DNS (domain name server) is unable to resolve the correct domain or returns an incorrect IP address. So if a Chinese user types Google in the browser, a domain not found error will come up. Using a China VPN server in Singapore, Taiwan, South Korea or Pakistan can resolve the issue.
· URL Filtering
URL filtering categorizes the websites over internet and allows or blocks the access to these websites based on information contained in a URL list. The Chinese government maintains a huge list of websites for URL filtering through the great firewall.
Irrespective of mobile or PC, a China VPN instantly bypasses URL filtering to provide all websites on the TGFW banned list.
· Packet Filtering
A method used to monitor both incoming & outgoing data packets. Packets are blocked based on the destination internet addresses, protocols and ports.
Since this is one of the top technologies used by the Chinese government, the best China VPN services ensureyour data packets are not blocked by making your IP address appear within China.
· Connection Reset
Connection reset is a method that blocks web request which contains censored keywords. All connection attempts are also blocked and reported by the Chinese internet police.
· SSL Man in the Middle Attack
The Chinese internet police create an independent connection with netizens devices and make them realize they are communicating with one another in this method.
Why China Blocks mainland VPN services?
There are several reasons that the Chinese government uses to slow down or completely blockChina VPN connections. Some of these reasons are:
- To avoid criticism of political and civil policies
- To restrict criticism of the government
- To encourage the local IT industry
- To restrict false news & disinformation from spreading within China
- To avoid data retention from the NSA and its associates
It is essential that you choose only from the best China VPN services while making sure the provider is not based in the country itself. A China VPN service based inside the mainland is already compromised and the Chinese internet police are already monitoring its users’.
How to Access Facebook & YouTube in China without a mainland VPN?
Chinese netizens can access Facebook and YouTube in China by a method other than aChina VPN. This method is popularly known as Proxy Server. There are proxy servers working within China to facilitate Chinese netizens to access Facebook and YouTube. Proxy servers’however don’tsecure the online activities, IP address and location ofinternet users.
Chinese netizens mustconsider using a China VPNservicewhen it comes to accessing social media websites such as Facebook, Instagram, FourSquare etc. in China. A mainland VPN provider will ensure that:
- User IP address is secure
- User location is secure
- User data is encrypted
- User activities is hidden and secure
We highly recommend usinga mainland VPN in China; proxy servers are dangerous and very unsecure. Mainland VPN not only provide you security & anonymity but also offer numerous value added benefits like live customer support, added payment options for China and exclusive high speed servers for Chinese users.
Employing state of the art data encryption China VPN services ensure that none of your activities are monitored by the Chinese internet police. Using anti-DPI (deep packet inspection)tech China VPN providers make sure no one knows what you are doing online.
How to Unblock Websites with China VPN
The process of unblocking websites in China is simple with a Mainland VPN. Unblockingon PC, Mac or Linux is very easy,since there is support built into all three operating systems for China VPN. While the easiest way is to use the apps offered by most China VPN providers, you can always manually configure the mainland VPN manually.
Unblock Facebook with a China VPN
You can unblock Facebook in 3 simple steps on PC, Mac and Linux OS using a China VPN service:
- Subscribe to a Mainland VPN service (Check out our table above)
- Download the China VPN app for your device(s)
- Choose your desired China VPN server (Singapore, Hong Kong, Netherlands etc.)
- Open a browser window and access Facebook without restrictions with your China VPN connected
Note: Never disconnect your mainland VPN while using social networks in China. Always consider a China VPN with the “Internet Kill Switch”& “Auto Reconnect Features”.
How to Unblock Google Services with China VPN
Chinese netizens can also unblock Google services in China with a mainland VPN. Internet users can access different Google services prominentlyGmail, YouTube, Google Docs & Google Analyticswithout having to go through the Great Firewall.
A China VPN can solve the issue by assigning you a new IP address from another country preferably Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan or South Korea so you can easily access all Google service without facing the GFWC.
How to Unblock Gmail with a China VPN Service
Chinese netizens can easily bypass the Great Firewall and unblock Gmail through a mainland VPN. Here is how Chinese netizens can unblock Google Services on their Android phones:
- Sign upto China VPN service from the list provided
- Download theChina VPN service app (Windows, Mac, Android and iOS)
- Connect the China VPN app with afastserver like Singapore, Hong Kong etc.
- Download the Google Services Framework APK
- Install the file and install all other Google Services as the permissions come up
- Once installation is finished, you will see Gmail, Google Play, Calendar & other Google apps on your Android Phone Home Screen
You can also follow this video to install and use Google Services in China. Remember to turn your mainland VPN on whenever using Google Services:
PureVPN is a Hong Kong based mainland VPN provider and has offered privacy & networking solutions for close to a decade now. The service offers different features that include:
- 550+ VPN servers in 145 countries
- 5 servers in Hong Kong
- 4 servers in mainland China
- 3 servers in Taiwan
- Compatible with over 30 devices including Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux &Routers
- Internet Kill Switch
- Auto Reconnect
- Apps for all leading operating systems Windows, Mac, Android& iOS
- Simultaneous connections up to 5 devices
- 7 Leading Protocols (PPTP, SSTP, IKEv2, OpenVPN, L2TP and exclusive Stealth Protocol)
- 7 days money back guarantee
ExpressVPN is another mainland VPN provider known for its turbo speed streaming servers. The service offers excellent features that include:
- 136 + VPN servers in 87 countries
- Compatible with Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, &Router
- Simultaneous connections up to 3 devices
- 30 days money back guarantee
- Referral Program
- Live support
IPVanish is a US based mainland VPN service that offers online anonymity to users through its variety of features. These features include:
- Presence in 60+ countries through 700+ servers
- 10 servers in Hong Kong
- 1 server in Vietnam
- Unlimited server switching
- Provides 256-bit military grade encryption
- Offers tunneling 3 protocols (PPTP, L2TP/IPSec and OpenVPN too)
- Compatible with various devices and OS (Windows, Mac OS X, Android, iOS and more)
- 7 days money back guarantee
- 5 simultaneous connections on different devices
Ivacy VPN is a Hong Kong VPN provider that comes with speedy browsing and strong mandate for absolute anonymity. It’s astounding reputation is backed by its profound features, which include:
- 250 VPN+ servers in over 100 countries worldwide
- 2 Servers in China
- 2 Servers in Hong Kong
- Unlimited server switching
- Supported on multiple platforms (Android, iOS, Windows, Apple, routers, consoles and more)
- Optimized P2P servers in 20 countries
- Unlimited data transfer
- Internet Kill Switch
- Split tunneling feature
- 7-day money-back guarantee
- 5 Multi logins
- No activity logs provider
- Includes multiple protocols (PPTP, SSTP, L2TP, OpenVPN and IKEv2)
NordVPN is a Panama-based VPN service that delivers in both privacy and speed for your secured browsing needs. Amongst the features that help the brand stand out are:
- 726 servers in 57 countries
- 6 servers in Hong Kong
- 1 server in Taiwan
- 1 server in Vietnam
- Compatible on various devices and OS (Android, iOS, Windows, Mac OS X, and more)
- Double data encryption
- DNS leaks resolver
- Excellent added value features including encrypted chat, secret notes, and web proxy extension
- Supports 6 devices simultaneously
- Does not throttle P2P traffic
- Strict NO log policy
- Unlimited bandwidth
In a Nutshell/Conclusion
We hope you will find our China VPN reviewsuseful when searching for your next security &surveillance bypassing solution. Unblock your favorite Chinese websites from anywhere in the world with the 5 best China VPN services and enjoy your favorite Chinese social networks, entertainment and news.